Hello sunny weather! A Starbucks run for a refreshing drink or boba tea with friends sounds like a great idea to keep cool as the weather warms up. As delicious as these drinks may be, there are DIY alternatives that will save you $3-$5 per drink and help keep your college budget in check. Here are 3 Quick and Easy Summer Drinks you can make that are inexpensive and perfect for summer.
Make Your Own Boba Tea
- Black Tea
- Black Tapioca Pearls
- Bring a pot of water to a boil over high heat. Add a handful of tapioca pearls and continue to boil, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes. Turn off the heat, cover, and let it sit for 12 to 15 more minutes.
- While the tapioca pearls are boiling, steep 2-3 tea bags in 2 cups of boiling water for 4 minutes and let cool . (You're making it strong because you'll be adding quite a bit of milk later).
- When the pearls are ready, drain them and quickly rinse under cold water.This will wash off the sticky tapioca starch. Add the boba into a jar and poor in enough tea so that all the pearls are submerged. Add several spoons of sugar and stir. You want the boba to be submerged in a sweet, sweet syrup.
- Now you can chill the rest of the brewed tea in the fridge. When it is very cold you can make your boba tea by combining the boba, tea, milk, and any other desired flavorings to a tall glass. Shaking the tea gives the bubble froth which is best made with ice in a cocktail shaker- but if you have a mason jar at home, feel free to combine it altogether, close the top, shake the tea vigorously and enjoy your very own homemade boba tea!
DIY Passion Tea Lemonade
- 2 Tazo Passion Tea Bags
- 16 oz water
- 4 oz Lemonade
- 2 tspn sugar
- 1/8 tspn vanilla
- Boil water
- Remove from heat and add tea bags, sugar and vanilla.
- Allow to sit for 15 minutes
- Remove tea bags and refrigerate until cold.
- Add ice to a tall closeable container. Add 8 oz tea and 2 oz of lemonade per serving. Shake well to mix. Enjoy!
Inspired by the Starbucks Passion Tea Lemonade, this recipe is so simple and refreshing. Just grab yourself some Tazo Passion Fruit Tea Bags and some lemonade. Combined with some sugar and a hint of vanilla, you will have yourself a refreshing and cheaper version right from home.
Fruit- Infused Water
If you are looking for a healthy and simple way to up your water intake throughout the day, an easy and beneficial drink option would be fruit-infused water. These infused-water combinations are a healthy way to keep you refreshed while staying hydrated.
You can infuse water with a variety of herbs, fruits, and even vegetables! It's all about easiness ,flavor, and creativity.
Here are five great flavor combinations to consider:
- Blueberry - Lemon - Mint
- Apple - Cinnamon Sticks
- Grapefruit - Lemon - Mint
- Mint - Cucumber - Green Apple
- Chia Seeds - Lime juice - Agave Nectar
- Berries - Basil - Lemon
We hope you found these three quick and easy summer drinks refreshing and cost effective. If you decide to give these recipes a try, share your DIY summer drink with us on social media by tagging @daviswomeninbusiness in your post!
Written By: Sahar Forouzanfar